Monday, September 04, 2006
Being sick sucks, plus a FO
So, as of the last post, MathMan and MissMonkeyToes were just getting over being sick. What does that mean? Of course, it means that *I* start getting sick. Blecch. Though there was knitting to be had, after all, what else is there when stuck in bed with the TV on?
First up, there is the Hoover blanket, still growing (slowly) and still looking the same. Next up, there's Tubey. I got halfwy down the sleeve in a marathon session, and again!! It's baggy. I did the math. Swatched up and measured, everything. Still baggy. So that got ripped. I'm determined to have this sweater, though. It's been re-started again, hopefully for the last time. Then, a quick trip to Michael's for some size 8 DPNs and I came upon some Paton's SWS. I couldn't resist. I got two balls each in three colorways. As I was picking them up, I was thinking log cabin for MMT, but once I got home I decided on some slipper socks. I used the pattern form Knitty Gritty's Sock-It-To-Me episode. I finished the second one yesterday. This morning I got MathMan to help me wind a skein of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock into a ball and started River Rapids. I think it's time to have a discussion with myself about what I'm allowed to have on the needles at any given time. So here it is.
1. socks
2. lace
3. a sweater
4. a gift project, or something else that's small, quick, or not for me or MathMan
5. a simple, portable project, like a washcloth
6. one afghan
So lets look at what I have on the needles now. Tubey, the two-up socks out of Koigu, River Rapids in lorna's laces, a pair of fingerless mitts in Moda-Dea Simply Stripes, and MathMan's Linux Illusion Scarf. The last two are UFOs sitting in the back of a drawer as they are 100% acrylic scratchyness, but the first two I need to address. After finishing the slipper socks, I've realized that I prefer top down construction on socks, and I really don't like the way the koigu socks are working up, so I think I'm going to frog them in preference of this pattern worked top down. So once I do that, I'm going to be ok.
In other news, the only size 8 DPNs I could get at Michael's were Clover Bamboo. Oh. My. I get it now. They're so smooth, yet not slick. They feel so nice in my hands, light and manageable. And I like how blunt the tips are. I may just have to get several in different sizes. Plus, I grabbed a size 8 circular, and I'm loving that too. I like how short the needle portion is - my Denises are much longer, and I have a tendency of curling my right pinky around them far too hard, which results in a very stiff and painful pinky after just a few minutes of knitting, but the Clovers fit nicely into my palm, making it easy to keep my pinky relaxed for hours of knitting fun!
Well, I'm off to cook dinner. I'll take a few pictures and update this post with them later.