Saturday, September 29, 2007
Socks...socks....socks....and more socks
Well, I've been a busy little bee. Every time I decide to post an entry, something else happens to take up my time or interest. I worked on my MIL's holiday socks. I hated them. They were made out of Louet Gems Fingering in Teal, a very pretty color and a very soft yarn (IMO.) It did twist up a bit out of the ball, but I didn't really find that to be much of a problem, and it wasn't so bad as to cause any knots. I really like the stitch pattern - easy and attractive. It was Twin Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks. What, you ask, made me hate socks out of yarn and pattern that I enjoyed? The needles. She has tiny feet, so I went down a needle size thinking that...well, I don't know what I was thinking. But it was intolerable. My gauge was 10.25 st/1'. My row gauge was just as intolerable. And once I noticed that it was going to take For. Freaking. Ever. I was so far into it I wasn't about to rip back. (I have noticed that this yarn does not take frogging very well.) I would post a picture, both here and in Ravelry, only the socks are upstairs and I'm not. Doesn't bode well, huh? Regardless, here are my newest SIPs. More Louet Gems Fingering, this time in Champagne on US 1.5 needles in plain stockinette. This is what naptime today yielded.

Sorry for the flash photography, but the sun has already gone down and this is the closest color representation. It's maybe just a little more "buttery" colored.
I've got two more pair after this one, then I'm giving myself a present. I'm already shopping for the yarn, but since I do have two more pair (FIL and grandfather) I have a little time. I probably should stick in the endpaper mitts for my friend (out of elann.com baby silk and baby cashmere) and one of the chevron scarves for my other friend, plus *something* for her 1, 3, and 5 year olds. Wow, holiday knitting really piles up on you. At least I'm giving myself time to actually get it all done this year!!! (I started in early August.)
Well, I'm off. Wish me luck. And I'm keeping the sweater up in my browser at all time for motivation!

Oh, yeah, if anyone is curious, here's the photoset for the "housework" I've been doing recently.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:
Blogger meg said...
I just swatched for Cherie Amour (even though I am only halfway through Wicked) and I'm stumped about needle choice at the moment. I'm not going to get gauge with anything, and I'm even using the recommended yarn (soooo soft btw).

I love the cappuccino wall color! Maybe that's what I need to balance my reddish floors.